Custom Hearing Protection
Why Hearing Protection is Important
Loud noise can permanently damage hearing. Most people experience an increased risk of developing noise-induced hearing loss:
- The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that over 1 billion people globally are at high risk due to recreational exposure to loud noise. This includes loud noise from personal audio devices.
- 22 million people are exposed to hazardous levels of noise in the workplace according to the Hearing Health Foundation. Musicians can be up to four times more likely to develop hearing loss.
These statistics highlight that the risk of noise-induced hearing loss is high for a substantial amount of people. Noise above 85 decibels (dB) can cause hearing loss. This is equivalent to busy traffic, a noisy restaurant, and a hair dryer. For additional perspective, audio through headphones can reach up to 100dB on the highest volume settings. This highlights that we are exposed to everyday noises that can impact hearing health which is where hearing protection comes in.
Types of Custom Hearing Protection
Hearing protection includes items like headphones, earbuds, earmuffs etc. These items provide a physical barrier for the ears, helping reduce the amount of loud noise that is absorbed. Generic earplugs and other hearing protective wear are a good start but do not offer the same kind of protection as custom options. Custom hearing protection offers the most personalized sound, fit, and attenuation.
Custom hearing protection is made just for you and the shape of your ear. A hearing healthcare specialist will make an earmold of your ear and send it to a manufacturer. Your earmold will be used to then make a tailor-made earplug using your specific needs. There are a few types of custom hearing portion options including:
These are everyday earplugs that help adjust and reduce noise levels. This is helpful for sleeping, while traveling, commuting, etc.
These custom earplugs are specifically made for musicians who are much more likely to develop hearing loss. These earplugs offer effective attenuation levels and simultaneously block out background noise while supporting the music you want to hear.
These earplugs are a great option for protection during events or activities where the noise levels get high like sports games, hunting, concerts etc. These earplugs amplify the sound in the environment while clamping down when noise levels increase. There are also earplugs specifically for swimming. This seals the ear canal which prevents water from entering and causing an ear infection.
Benefits of Custom Hearing Protection
Custom protection offers several benefits that generic hearing protection options do not. Major benefits include the following:
- Fit: custom options are tailor-made to the shape of your ear. This ensures a perfect and comfortable fit which means they stay in place and are secure.
- custom hearing protection is designed to still retain the accuracy of sounds but just at a reduced volume. This allows people to fully access sound while hearing it safely. Some options offer replaceable sound filters which allow you to choose the level of sound protection you want.
- Long-lasting: custom hearing protection can last between 3 to 5 years. This is much longer than disposable earplugs which only offer one-time use or reusable options which typically last 2-3 months.
Custom hearing protection offers specific and precise protection that still provides access to the full range of sounds in your environment.
Custom hearing protection is an investment in your hearing health and wellness. Contact us to learn more about custom hearing protection and to discuss the options that can be optimal for you.